Next Article in Journal
Gene Mutation Profiles in Primary Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma of Central Nervous System: Next Generation Sequencing Analyses
Next Article in Special Issue
A Study of Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms of the SLC19A1/RFC1 Gene in Subjects with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Previous Article in Journal
Mechanism of Mitochondrial Connexin43′s Protection of the Neurovascular Unit under Acute Cerebral Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury
Previous Article in Special Issue
Clinical Genetic Aspects of Autism Spectrum Disorders
Article

Morphometric Analysis of Recognized Genes for Autism Spectrum Disorders and Obesity in Relationship to the Distribution of Protein-Coding Genes on Human Chromosomes

Departments of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences and Pediatrics, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
These authors contributed equally to this work.
Academic Editor: Nicholas Delihas
Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2016, 17(5), 673; https://0-doi-org.brum.beds.ac.uk/10.3390/ijms17050673
Received: 10 February 2016 / Revised: 11 April 2016 / Accepted: 28 April 2016 / Published: 5 May 2016
Mammalian chromosomes are comprised of complex chromatin architecture with the specific assembly and configuration of each chromosome influencing gene expression and function in yet undefined ways by varying degrees of heterochromatinization that result in Giemsa (G) negative euchromatic (light) bands and G-positive heterochromatic (dark) bands. We carried out morphometric measurements of high-resolution chromosome ideograms for the first time to characterize the total euchromatic and heterochromatic chromosome band length, distribution and localization of 20,145 known protein-coding genes, 790 recognized autism spectrum disorder (ASD) genes and 365 obesity genes. The individual lengths of G-negative euchromatin and G-positive heterochromatin chromosome bands were measured in millimeters and recorded from scaled and stacked digital images of 850-band high-resolution ideograms supplied by the International Society of Chromosome Nomenclature (ISCN) 2013. Our overall measurements followed established banding patterns based on chromosome size. G-negative euchromatic band regions contained 60% of protein-coding genes while the remaining 40% were distributed across the four heterochromatic dark band sub-types. ASD genes were disproportionately overrepresented in the darker heterochromatic sub-bands, while the obesity gene distribution pattern did not significantly differ from protein-coding genes. Our study supports recent trends implicating genes located in heterochromatin regions playing a role in biological processes including neurodevelopment and function, specifically genes associated with ASD. View Full-Text
Keywords: G-negative euchromatin; G-positive heterochromatin; chromosome organization; high-resolution chromosome ideograms; protein-coding genes; obesity genes; autism spectrum disorder (ASD) genes G-negative euchromatin; G-positive heterochromatin; chromosome organization; high-resolution chromosome ideograms; protein-coding genes; obesity genes; autism spectrum disorder (ASD) genes
Show Figures

Graphical abstract

MDPI and ACS Style

McGuire, A.B.; Rafi, S.K.; Manzardo, A.M.; Butler, M.G. Morphometric Analysis of Recognized Genes for Autism Spectrum Disorders and Obesity in Relationship to the Distribution of Protein-Coding Genes on Human Chromosomes. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2016, 17, 673. https://0-doi-org.brum.beds.ac.uk/10.3390/ijms17050673

AMA Style

McGuire AB, Rafi SK, Manzardo AM, Butler MG. Morphometric Analysis of Recognized Genes for Autism Spectrum Disorders and Obesity in Relationship to the Distribution of Protein-Coding Genes on Human Chromosomes. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2016; 17(5):673. https://0-doi-org.brum.beds.ac.uk/10.3390/ijms17050673

Chicago/Turabian Style

McGuire, Austen B., Syed K. Rafi, Ann M. Manzardo, and Merlin G. Butler 2016. "Morphometric Analysis of Recognized Genes for Autism Spectrum Disorders and Obesity in Relationship to the Distribution of Protein-Coding Genes on Human Chromosomes" International Journal of Molecular Sciences 17, no. 5: 673. https://0-doi-org.brum.beds.ac.uk/10.3390/ijms17050673

Find Other Styles
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop