Next Article in Journal
Key Factors Identification and Risk Assessment for the Stability of Deep Surrounding Rock in Coal Roadway
Previous Article in Journal
Aggravation of Human Diseases and Climate Change Nexus
Article

Geospatial Analysis of Mass-Wasting Susceptibility of Four Small Catchments in Mountainous Area of Miyun County, Beijing

1
College of Construction Engineering, Jilin University, Changchun, Jilin 130026, China
2
Department of Architectural Engineering, Changchun Sci-Tech University, Changchun, Jilin 130600, China
3
State Key Laboratory for Geomechanic and Deep Underground Engineering, China University of Mining and Technology, Beijing 100083, China
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2019, 16(15), 2801; https://0-doi-org.brum.beds.ac.uk/10.3390/ijerph16152801
Received: 6 June 2019 / Revised: 31 July 2019 / Accepted: 3 August 2019 / Published: 6 August 2019
Driven by the pull of gravity, mass-wasting comprises all of the sedimentary processes related to remobilization of sediments deposited on slopes, including creep, sliding, slumping, flow, and fall. It is vital to conduct mass-wasting susceptibility mapping, with the aim of providing decision makers with management advice. The current study presents two individual data mining methods—the frequency ratio (FR) and information value model (IVM) methods—to map mass-wasting susceptibility in four catchments in Miyun County, Beijing, China. To achieve this goal, nine influence factors and a mass-wasting inventory map were used and produced, respectively. In this study, 71 mass-wasting locations were investigated in the field. Of these hazard locations, 70% of them were randomly selected to build the model, and the remaining 30% of the hazard locations were used for validation. Finally, a receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve was used to assess the mass-wasting susceptibility maps produced by the above-mentioned models. Results show that the FR had a higher concordance and spatial differentiation, with respective values of 0.902 (area under the success rate) and 0.883 (area under the prediction rate), while the IVM had lower values of 0.865 (area under the success rate) and 0.855 (area under the prediction rate). Both proposed methodologies are useful for general planning and evaluation purposes, and they are shown to be reasonable models. Slopes of 6–21° were the most common thresholds that controlled occurrence of mass-wasting. Farmland terraces were mainly composed of gravel, mud, and clay, which are more prone to mass-wasting. Mass-wasting susceptibility mapping is feasible and potentially highly valuable. It could provide useful information in support of environmental health policies. View Full-Text
Keywords: mass-wasting susceptibility; catchment management; frequency ratio; information value; farmland terraces mass-wasting susceptibility; catchment management; frequency ratio; information value; farmland terraces
Show Figures

Figure 1

MDPI and ACS Style

Cao, C.; Chen, J.; Zhang, W.; Xu, P.; Zheng, L.; Zhu, C. Geospatial Analysis of Mass-Wasting Susceptibility of Four Small Catchments in Mountainous Area of Miyun County, Beijing. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2019, 16, 2801. https://0-doi-org.brum.beds.ac.uk/10.3390/ijerph16152801

AMA Style

Cao C, Chen J, Zhang W, Xu P, Zheng L, Zhu C. Geospatial Analysis of Mass-Wasting Susceptibility of Four Small Catchments in Mountainous Area of Miyun County, Beijing. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2019; 16(15):2801. https://0-doi-org.brum.beds.ac.uk/10.3390/ijerph16152801

Chicago/Turabian Style

Cao, Chen, Jianping Chen, Wen Zhang, Peihua Xu, Lianjing Zheng, and Chun Zhu. 2019. "Geospatial Analysis of Mass-Wasting Susceptibility of Four Small Catchments in Mountainous Area of Miyun County, Beijing" International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 16, no. 15: 2801. https://0-doi-org.brum.beds.ac.uk/10.3390/ijerph16152801

Find Other Styles
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop