Next Article in Journal
Exposure Assessment of Airborne Bacteria Emitted from Swine Manure Composting Plant
Previous Article in Journal
Investigation of Seeds and Peels of Citrullus colocynthis as Efficient Natural Adsorbent for Methylene Blue Dye
Previous Article in Special Issue
Insight into the Liquid–Liquid Extraction System AuCl4/HCl/A327H+Cl Ionic Liquid/Toluene
Article

Selective Gold and Palladium Adsorption from Standard Aqueous Solutions

Department of Chemical, Materials and Industrial Production Engineering (DICMAPI), University of Naples Federico II, Piazzale Vincenzo Tecchio 90, 80125 Napoli, Italy
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Academic Editor: Avelino Núñez-Delgado
Received: 25 June 2021 / Revised: 16 July 2021 / Accepted: 22 July 2021 / Published: 25 July 2021
The intensive exploitation of resources on a global level has led to a progressive depletion of mineral reserves, which were proved to be insufficient to meet the high demand for high-technological devices. On the other hand, the continuous production of Waste from Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) is causing serious environmental problems, due to the complex composition of WEEE, which makes the recycling and reuse particularly challenging. The average metal content of WEEE is estimated to be around 30% and varies depending on the manufacturing period and brand of production. It contains base metals and precious metals, such as gold and palladium. The remaining 70% of WEEEs is composed of plastics, resins, and glassy materials. The recovery of metals from WEEEs is characterized by two main processes well represented by the literature: Pyrometallurgy and hydrometallurgy. Both of them require the pre-treatment of WEEEs, such as dismantling and magnetic separation of plastics. In this work, the selective adsorption of precious metals has been attempted, using copper, gold, and palladium aqueous solutions and mixtures of them. A screening on different adsorbent materials such as granular activated carbons and polymers, either as pellets or foams, has been performed. Among these, PolyEther Block Amide (PEBA) was elected as the most performing adsorbent in terms of gold selectivity over copper. Spent PEBA has been then characterized using scanning electron microscope, coupled with energy dispersive spectroscopy, demonstrating the predominant presence of gold in most analyzed sites, either in the pellet or foam form. View Full-Text
Keywords: leaching; extraction; platinum group metals; precious metals; hydrometallurgy; adsorption leaching; extraction; platinum group metals; precious metals; hydrometallurgy; adsorption
Show Figures

Graphical abstract

MDPI and ACS Style

Trucillo, P.; Di Maio, E.; Lancia, A.; Di Natale, F. Selective Gold and Palladium Adsorption from Standard Aqueous Solutions. Processes 2021, 9, 1282. https://0-doi-org.brum.beds.ac.uk/10.3390/pr9081282

AMA Style

Trucillo P, Di Maio E, Lancia A, Di Natale F. Selective Gold and Palladium Adsorption from Standard Aqueous Solutions. Processes. 2021; 9(8):1282. https://0-doi-org.brum.beds.ac.uk/10.3390/pr9081282

Chicago/Turabian Style

Trucillo, Paolo, Ernesto Di Maio, Amedeo Lancia, and Francesco Di Natale. 2021. "Selective Gold and Palladium Adsorption from Standard Aqueous Solutions" Processes 9, no. 8: 1282. https://0-doi-org.brum.beds.ac.uk/10.3390/pr9081282

Find Other Styles
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop