Special Issue "Carbon Fiber Composites – Composite Driven Multifunctionality and Applications"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 January 2022.
Interests: carbon fiber; composite materials; multi-functionality; smart structures; nondestructive testing; materials characterization
Interests: carbon fiber; composite structures; airframe technology; organo sheet forming
Interests: thermoelectrics; thermoelectric generators (TEGs); organic and printed electronics; nanomaterials and nanocomposites; additive manufacturing; advanced fiber reinforced polymer (FRP) composites; hierarchical composites
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
We are pleased to present our project, a Special Issue of the journal C, focusing on the composite-driven multifunctionality of carbon fiber composites (CFCs). We would like to join the competent researchers in the field of studying carbon fiber-based composites, starting from classical structural carbon fiber-reinforced polymers together with multifunctionality-driven hybrid approaches, and combination with other materials, e.g., metals, ceramics, and semiconductors, on different length scales to achieve multifunctionality on a material level.
The main focus of the project is on the advanced properties of the investigated composites (mechanical, electrical, magnetic, thermal, optical), but also on their use in typical applications.
The reported manuscripts will represent both the experimental and the theoretical point of view, including simulative works. The final target is to give readers an overview of the hot topics and the state of the art of multifunctional carbon fiber composites, based on a largely interdisciplinary perspective typical for materials science. Potential topics include, but are not limited to:
- Advanced properties of CFC—mechanical, electrical, thermal, optical;
- Composite-driven multifunctionality—combination with other materials (e.g., metals, electro-ceramics, semi-conductors) at various length scales (e.g., energy harvesting thermoelectric composites, photovoltaic effect in CFC, energy storage-enabled composites, shape morphing, actuation active composites, self-strain sensing composites, composites responsive to an external stimuli, i.e., optical, thermal, electrical—as well as EMI shielding-enabled composites, recyclable and reshapable composites);
- Applications of CFC—advanced structures, sensors, actuators, energy harvesting, aeronautics, naval, mobility, health;
- Advanced structural FRP composites (hierarchical composites, fuzzy reinforcements, multi-scale composites);
- Light harvesting and/or light interaction-enabled FRPs (photovoltaic effect, photo-responsive, photo-activated actuation, plasmonic curing, etc.);
- Thermal energy harvesting enabled FRPs (thermoelectric effect) and thermoelectric sensing for T-sensing and/or SHM purposes;
- Triboelectric harvesting enabled FRP composites;
- Electrical and electronic properties of advanced FRP composites (SHM via conductivity, power transfer, remote charging via induction, EMI and other shielding properties, IR heating due to CF metallic nature, etc.);
- Energy storage enabled FRP composites (performance/operation as a battery or a supercapacitor);
- Advanced manufacturing of multifunctional composites (e.g., advanced techniques for prepregs, remote curing via Joule heating and 3D printing additive manufacturing (AM) of continuous fiber composites);
- Nanotechnology-enabled CFRPs and related concepts (nanoparticles localized at the interphase region with fluorescent properties to monitor cracks, plasmonic nanoparticles, magnetically active reinforcements, nanostructured interphases, etc.).
Dr. Martin Gurka
Prof. Dr. Ulf Breuer
Dr. Lazaros Tzounis
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. C is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Polymer composites
- Smart structures
- Smart materials
- Structural health monitoring
- Self healing
- Sensors and actuators
- Electrical, mechanical, thermal properties
- Structural characterization
- Multiphysical characterization