Special Issue "Toxicology and Environmental Epidemiology: Feature Papers"
A special issue of International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (ISSN 1660-4601). This special issue belongs to the section "Toxicology and Public Health".
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 June 2021).
Interests: environmental epidemiology; persistent organic pollutants; metals; emerging chemical contaminants; metabolic syndrome; cancer; metabolic and endocrine disruption
We are pleased to announce the Special Issue entitled “Toxicology and Environmental Epidemiology”. This is a collection of important high-quality papers (original research articles, comprehensive review papers, case reports, ect.) published in Open Access form by Editorial Board Members, or prominent scholars invited by Guest Editors, Editorial Board Members, and the Editorial Office. This Special Issue aims to discuss new knowledge or new cutting-edge developments in Toxicology and Environmental Epidemiology through selected works, which will make a great contribution to the community.
Human populations are continuously exposed to complex mixtures of environmental chemicals (ECs) through all exposure routes and uncountable sources. Thus, there is a need for characterization of exposure levels to both legacy and emergent contaminants in all population groups, as well as their potential health implications. This needs to be done from multidisciplinary perspectives, in scenarios where in vitro, in vivo, computational, and epidemiological approaches converge to give robust answers. In addition, research in this field should consider the social dimension of environmental exposures in order to achieve effective public health interventions.
This Special Issue will gather a variety of interrelated works from basic science to epidemiological research, including social research. We aim to provide an optimal forum for disseminating excellent research findings as well as sharing innovative ideas in the field.
Papers could be either research papers with a detailed summary of their own work done so far or papers highlighting the state-of-the-art developments in “Toxicology and Environmental Epidemiology”. In order to benefit both authors and readers, we would like to grant a discount for submissions based on evaluation.
The Special Issue will cover the following priority areas:
- Human exposure assessment to environmental pollutants, including biomonitoring;
- Research on emerging pollutants and identification of overlooked pollutants, as well as their most relevant exposure sources;
- Synergizing toxicological and epidemiological knowledge under the frameworks of systems toxicology and adverse outcome pathway (AOP) networks;
- Preclinical effect biomarkers to individual contaminants and their mixtures;
- Novel statistical approaches in epidemiologic settings;
- Nontarget chemical analysis to identify novel/emerging chemicals and their metabolites;
- Advancing the extrapolation of low-dose results from in vitro and animal studies to human populations;
- Better understanding of susceptible windows of development throughout the lifespan: starting from preconception, through pregnancy, childhood, and adolescence, to adulthood and the elderly;
- Exploring the role of ECs on the microbiota, and its implications for human health;
- Development of preventive actions (e.g., clinical and community guidelines for preventing exposures);
- Better understanding of the social aspects related environmental exposures;
- Research focused on regulatory aspects.
You are welcome to send a tentative title and a short abstract to our Editorial Office ([email protected]) or the corresponding assistant editor Ms. Ada Wang ([email protected]) for evaluation before submission. Please note that selected full papers will still be subjected to a thorough and rigorous peer-review.
We look forward to receiving your excellent work.
Dr. Juan Pedro Arrebola
Dr. Vicente Mustieles
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2300 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Environmental epidemiology
- Endocrine disruption
- Food toxicology
- Systems toxicology
- Genetic toxicology
- Chemical and metal toxicology
- Reproductive and developmental toxicology
- Risk assessment
- Risk management
- Social and economic dimensions
- Other areas