Special Issue "Molecular Mechanisms of Mood Stabilizers"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 December 2020).
Interests: cell culture; molecular biology; noncoding RNA; genetics; extracellular vesicles; allergy; pulmonology; psychiatry; adipokines; stress response
Mood disorders are common chronic psychiatric conditions with a high socio-economic burden, as they affect mainly young adults and present with recurrent episodes of depression or mania. Mood stabilizers encompass a heterogeneous class of drugs, including anticonvulsants, antipsychotics, and lithium, that are used to treat these psychiatric conditions. However, the efficacy of mood stabilizers differs significantly depending on age at onset, disease duration, gender, and comorbidities. The available treatment is effective in about 60% of chronically treated patients, the remaining 40% requires a switch to another drug or a combination of several normotymic agents. Despite several decades of clinical use and numerous molecular studies conducted to elucidate the molecular mechanism of mood stabilizers, the exact mechanisms are not fully identified. The discovery of molecular pathways influenced by mood stabilizers could improve the treatment response prediction as well as the identification of novel therapeutic targets for mood disorders.
In this Special Issue, we welcome your contributions, original papers, or review articles, on molecular aspects of mood stabilizer action with a particular focus on delineating the changes in gene expression regulation (including epigenome, noncoding RNAs, transcriptome, and proteome), using in vitro studies, animal models, and clinical studies, as well as works investigating the role of comorbidities on molecular action of mood stabilizers. Pure clinical studies will not be considered in this Special Issue.
Prof. Dr. Aleksandra Szczepankiewicz
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. International Journal of Molecular Sciences is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. There is an Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal. For details about the APC please see here. Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Mood stabilizers
- Molecular action
- Affective disorders
- Comorbid diseases
- Noncoding RNA
- Animal models
- In vitro models
- Clinical studies