Special Issue "Seismic Repairing and Strengthening of Buildings and Bridges"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 January 2020).
Interests: smart materials and structures; sustainable construction materials; seismic retrofitting; shape memory alloy; FEM simulations
Interests: development and application of advanced and novel materials in civil engineering structures and experimental investigation; advances in numerical and experimental earthquake engineering; development of advance modeling tools and techniques; structural optimization; performance-based design, risk and vulnerability assessment; structural design against multiple hazards; machine learning in structural engineering
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Major seismic events around the world, along with the aging and deterioration of infrastructures, keep increasing the need for strengthening and rehabilitation of existing buildings and bridges. Seismic repairing and strengthening is an area that has seen major developments due to the availability of robust numerical simulation frameworks, large experimental facilities, development of advanced materials and construction techniques along with seismic fragility assessment tools for retrofitted infrastructures, and sophisticated performance-based seismic design and assessment methodologies. Despite the progress, though, there are many challenges yet to be addressed.
This Special Issue invites papers presenting numerical and/or experimental research on seismic repairing and strengthening of buildings and bridges. We invite research and development on both conventional or advanced methods for seismic repairing and strengthening of buildings and bridges. The main goal is to generate a forum for the current state of knowledge and future research directions in the overall area of seismic strengthening of existing infrastructures.
The Special Issue includes (but is not limited to) the following topics:
- Seismic strengthening techniques for buildings and bridges;
- Performance based seismic retrofitting of buildings and bridges;
- Seismic retrofitting of masonry structures;
- Seismic fragility assessment of retrofitted building and bridges;
- Seismic collapse safety assessment of retrofitted infrastructures;
- Seismic retrofitting using conventional techniques;
- Performance comparison of different retrofitting techniques;
- Seismic strengthening using energy dissipation devices;
- Seismic retrofitting of concrete and steel buildings using different bracing systems;
- Shape memory alloy in seismic retrofitting of structures;
- Fiber reinforced polymer in seismic retrofitting of structures;
- Seismic strengthening of steel frames with rate-dependent dampers;
- Seismic strengthening of steel frames with steel yielding devices;
- Novel seismic strengthening concepts in practice;
- Experimental evaluation of different retrofitting techniques;
- Design guidelines for seismic strengthening using smart materials.
Prof. Dr. Shahria Alam
Dr. Muntasir Billah
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Infrastructures is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.