Special Issue "Mobile Camera-Based Image and Video Processing"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 15 December 2021.
Interests: image processing and analysis; video processing and analysis; pattern recognition; document forensics and security; mobile camera-based processing and analysis
Today, mobile devices such as smartphones have become very popular for acquiring objects due to their availability and simple use. They allow us to easily capture several image samples or a video of an object in photo or video mode. However, mobile camera-captured images and videos represent a particular challenge for the analysis, recognition and understanding of their content, as they may contain several degradations such as lightning variations, shadows, geometric distortions, blur, noise and low resolution. Another challenge is the processing of these contents on the mobile device, as the methods have to account for the computational resources, to avoid draining the battery. The versatility of mobile devices enables new applications in various domains such as augmented reality, mobile document scanning and integrity checks, user authentication and presentation attack detection, automated photo enhancement, 3D acquisition, etc.
We request contributions taking an academic or industrial perspective in the field of mobile camera-based image and video processing. We hope that the submitted articles will raise and respond to new issues of mobile camera-based processing and its applications, or represent ongoing research to improve image and video analysis, recognition and understanding methods. The topics of interest include, but are not limited to the keywords below.
Dr. Petra Gomez-Krämer
Dr. Joseph Chazalon
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Journal of Imaging is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1600 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Mobile camera-based acquisition: acquisition protocols, arrays/groups of cameras, the fusion of multiple sensor data
- Camera calibration and pose estimation
- The preprocessing of mobile camera-captured images: deblurring, dewarping, denoising and super-resolution
- Quality assessment: blur assessment, noise assessment, compression quality and readability
- The analysis, recognition and understanding of mobile camera-captured images and videos
- Embedded processing: real-time processing and lightweight approaches
- Interactive approaches: live feedback
- Applications: augmented reality, virtual reality, mobile camera-based forensics and security, mobile document acquisition, and new usages of mobile camera-based images and video
- Datasets and evaluation: challenging datasets, performance evaluation and prototyping tools