Obstetrics and Gynecology
A section of Medicina (ISSN 1648-9144).
“Obstetrics and Gynecology” is a medical specialty that includes two different subspecialties devoted to the medical and surgical care of the female reproductive system and associated disorders. Obstetrics covers pregnancy, delivery, and the postpartum period (maternal–fetal medicine). Gynecology covers benign and malignant diseases of the vagina, uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries, and also includes the diagnosis and treatment of infertility, family planning (including contraception and pregnancy termination), sexual medicine, pediatric and adolescent gynecology, and menopausal gynecology. Most obstetrician–gynecologists are generalists and see a variety of medical conditions in the office, perform surgery, and manage labor and delivery. These physicians usually perform both diagnostic procedures (not only by office ultrasound but also by hysteroscopy or colposcopy) and treatments (either medical or surgical). As a consequence, obstetrician–gynecologists require both a broad field of knowledge and procedural skills.
Some obstetrician–gynecologists develop an interest in one of the following fields: gynecologic oncology, reproductive endocrinology and infertility, maternal fetal medicine, and female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery.
The section “Obstetrics and Gynecology” of the journal Medicina is devoted to the propagation of novel findings and state-of-the-art knowledge in the field of obstetrics and gynecology. Its primary aim is to advance the knowledge of high-quality care.
- obstetrics ultrasonography
- gynecological imaging
- gynecological surgery
- gynecological oncology
- family planning
- sexual medicine
- adolescent gynecology
- maternal–fetal medicine
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) in Gynecologic Endocrinology (Deadline: 11 November 2021)
- Clinical Manifestations and Treatment of Endometriosis (Deadline: 1 December 2021)
- Recent Advances in the Treatment of Breast Cancer (Deadline: 20 December 2021)
- High-Risk Pregnancy (Deadline: 31 December 2021)
- Current Trends in Prenatal Medicine: Research and Care (Deadline: 31 December 2021)
- Molecular and Clinical Diagnosis and Treatment of Endometriosis (Deadline: 28 February 2022)
- New Insights and Perspectives in Minimally Invasive Gynecology (Deadline: 31 March 2022)
- New Advances in Female Pelvic Floor Dysfunctions Management (Deadline: 8 April 2022)
- Prevention and Treatment of Gestational Diabetes (Deadline: 15 April 2022)
- Recent Advances in Infertility and Endometriosis (Deadline: 28 April 2022)