Special Issue "Plant-Based Foods in Cancer Prevention and Treatment"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 15 February 2022.
Interests: cancer prevention; esophageal cancer; Barrett’s esophagus; lung cancer; diet; chemoprevention; natural products; plant-derived; prebiotics
Epidemiological and experimental research strongly support the role of plant-based diets in cancer prevention, and more recently in the management and treatment of cancer. Plant-based foods such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and legumes are rich sources of fiber, anti-oxidants, vitamins, phytochemicals, and other micronutrients with documented cancer inhibitory effects. Plant bioactive compounds work through a variety of mechanisms to mitigate the “hallmarks of cancer”, including growth and proliferative signaling, genomic instability and mutations, replicative immortality, energy metabolism, cell death resistance, immune and inflammatory signaling, angiogenesis, invasion, and metastasis. Considering that only 5% to 10% of cancers are genetically linked, with the remaining 90% stemming from environmental factors, including lifestyle and dietary choices, it stands to reason that plant-based diets or dietary constituents may offer a favorable, economical, and non-toxic strategy to reduce cancer risk and enhance the efficacy of cancer treatment.
This Special Issue of Nutrients on “Plant-Based Foods in Cancer Prevention and Treatment” invites manuscripts—both reviews and original research articles—in the field of plant-based cancer inhibition, whether it be targeting cancer progression, impacting cancer management, or modulating cancer therapeutic efficacy. Both preclinical and clinical research are of interest.
Prof. Dr. Laura A. Kresty
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Nutrients is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Cancer prevention
- Functional foods
- Natural products
- Nutrient synergy
- Bioactive compounds
- Therapeutic efficacy