Special Issue "Sustainable Environmental and Transportation Planning in Rural Areas"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 January 2022.
Interests: environmental and transportation planning; urban and regional planning; biodiversity conservation; environmental risk assessment; natural resource conservation; indigenous ecological knowledge; ecotourism; international development
Rural communities are expected to represent about 34% of the global population by 2050. According to The World Bank’s Rural Access Index (RAI), more than one billion rural dwellers don’t have access to reliable transport. Most of them live in areas isolated by distance, terrain, poverty, and economic opportunities, among others. Yet, rural access is key to the realization of a number of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Goals. Planners and governments must strive to provide good rural roads infrastructure and transport access that promote connectivity and social cohesion. In this regard, we are inviting empirical research papers for a Special Issue in our Journal from countries around the globe that address one or more of the issues below:
- Addressing how rural transport access contributes to rural poverty alleviation, economic freedom, healthy families, education and effective participation in community and national development.
- Discussing sustainable rural access designs using local knowledge and resources.
- Cost-benefits accruing from improved all-season road access.
- Gender mainstreaming and equity in rural transport.
- Rural transport planning and inclusiveness for the marginalized populations.
- Improving rural access roads safety and eradication of accidents.
- Innovations in the delivery of transportation services through safe use of motorcycle taxis and three-wheelers.
- Rural transport planning challenges.
- Empowering women through improved rural transport access.
Prof. Dr. Seth Appiah-Opoku
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Sustainability is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1900 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- rural transport planning
- sustainable development
- sustainable transport
- rural access
- gender mainstreaming
- transportation planning
- environmental planning
- rural areas