Special Issue "Model-Based Systems Engineering and Product Service Systems Design"
A special issue of Systems (ISSN 2079-8954).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 June 2021).
Interests: engineering design; product service systems development (research and education); value-driven design; data driven design; design for circular economy; systems engineering (research and education)
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
The creation of the conditions for living in a sustainable society is a key challenge for the current generation and the generations to come. As researchers and practitioners in the areas of systems engineering and product service systems (PSS) design, we are asked to contribute to sustainable and effective development by making the best use of the emerging technologies in the context of the fourth industrial revolution. Researchers have discussed the innovation potential driven by the servitization and digitalization phenomena in the design, development, and management of complex systems encompassing both product-centric and service-centric dimensions (Roy et al., 2009; Bertoni et al., 2016). Framework, methods, and tools for model-based systems engineering (MBSE) (Estefan, 2007) and PSS design and development have been proposed and applied in a number of industrial case studies, scraping the surface of potential innovative approaches capable of enabling a more effective and efficient development of complex systems, with the ultimate goal of delivering increased value for stakeholders and society as a whole.
This Special Issue invites scientific contributions proposing new, innovative, and original approaches for the development of complex systems and PSS solutions. The call especially targets advancements in research and practices in the field of MBSE and PSS design, with a particular interest in methods and approaches integrating a multistakeholder and sustainability perspective. This issue aims to provide an opportunity for academics and practitioners to share their theoretical and practical knowledge and findings in the field, with the ultimate aim to move the state-of-the-art and the state-of-the-practice forward.
This Special Issue particularly looks forward to articles presenting, among others:
- New methods for MBSE in PSS design;
- Empirical studies on MBSE implementation in an industrial environment;
- MBSE in new industrial applications (e.g., health engineering and design for additive manufacturing);
- Issues and challenges in including sustainability considerations in complex systems design;
- State-of-the-art review of MBSE in PSS design;
- Simulations in PSS design;
- Visualization in MBSE and PSS design;
- Prototyping in MBSE and PSS design;
- Collaboration in MBSE and PSS design;
- Artificial intelligence and data-driven design in MBSE and PSS design;
- Value-driven design methods in MBSE and PSS design.
Dr. Massimo Panarotto
- Roy, R., Shehab, E., Tiwari, A., Baines, T. S., Lightfoot, H. W., Benedettini, O., & Kay, J. M. (2009). The servitization of manufacturing. Journal of manufacturing technology management.
- Estefan, J. A. (2007). Survey of model-based systems engineering (MBSE) methodologies. Incose MBSE Focus Group, 25(8), 1-12.
- Bertoni, A., Bertoni, M., Panarotto, M., Johansson, C., & Larsson, T. C. (2016). Value-driven product service systems development: Methods and industrial applications. CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, 15, 42-55.
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Systems is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.