Special Issue "Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Children and Adolescents"
A special issue of International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (ISSN 1660-4601). This special issue belongs to the section "Health Behavior, Chronic Disease and Health Promotion".
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 1 September 2021.
Interests: 24-hour movement behaviors in (obese) children and adolescents
Interests: 24-hour movement behaviors in clinical populations
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
We are pleased to organize this Special Issue on the treatment of childhood and adolescent overweight and obesity on behalf of the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. This peer-reviewed scientific journal publishes manuscripts in the interdisciplinary area of environmental health sciences and public health. More information about the aim and the scope of the journal can be found at: https://0-www-mdpi-com.brum.beds.ac.uk/journal/ijerph.
Childhood and adolescent overweight and obesity are still challenging healthcare issues around the world. Lifestyle modification, including behavioral and cognitive strategies focusing on diet and physical activity, was shown to be a promising treatment strategy in overweight and obese children and adolescents. However, the validity and generalizability of the available evidence in these age groups is still questionable. More high-quality, sufficiently powered and qualitative evidence is needed to supplement the knowledge base from which treatment strategies in children and adolescents are currently informed and to disentangle the underlying behavioral processes of effective treatment strategies in children and adolescents.
This Special Issue is open to any subject area and different types of research (including quantitative and qualitative research, original articles, protocol papers, systematic reviews, research notes, and short communications) that may deepen the knowledge base on how to effectively treat overweight and obesity in children and adolescents. We especially welcome studies including:
- Associations between lifestyle behaviors in children or adolescents with overweight or obesity;
- Prevalence and determinants of lifestyle behaviors in children or adolescents with overweight or obesity;
- Developmental and implementation processes of lifestyle behavior change interventions to treat childhood and adolescent overweight and obesity;
- Process evaluations of lifestyle behavior change interventions in children and adolescents treated for overweight or obesity;
- Impact of lifestyle behavior change interventions in children and adolescents treated for overweight or obesity on lifestyle behaviors, weight-related outcomes, comorbidities and health-related quality of life.
Dr. Vera Verbestel
Prof. Dr. Marieke De Craemer
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2300 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- prevalence of lifestyle behaviors
- determinants of lifestyle behaviors
- treatment of childhood and adolescent overweight and obesity
- lifestyle behavior change interventions
- intervention development and implementation
- effect and process evaluation