Special Issue "Building Back Better Tourism in Times of Pandemics and Climate Change for the Sustainable Development Goals"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 December 2021.
Interests: life cycle assessment; sustainable food systems; circular bio-economy; low-carbon farming practices; environmental footprint; food total quality management; low-carbon transport; sustainable tourism
Interests: sustainability performance indicators; quality environment health and safety management systems; life cycle assessment; environmental footprint; circular economy; sustainable tourism; sustainable territorial management
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Tourism plays a pivotal role in accelerating the global pathway toward the achievement of the objectives in the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals. For a prompt, responsible recovery of the tourism sector after the COVID-19 pandemic, a global commitment is needed in order to mainstream better practices to support sustainable tourism as a driving force for the restart that will be respectful of the environment and people.
The scope of the present Special Issue is to provide a suite of solutions to address the trade-offs between the socio-economic benefits tied to tourism systems, and their impacts on climate and ecosystems. This Special Issue also aims to analyze local development policies and business strategies to support sustainable tourism, giving a voice to both businesses and local authorities. Research dealing the issue of sustainability in the tourism development of territories, tourism business management, tourism market analysis, and traveler behavior is also welcome.
Contributions of original, cutting-edge, multidiscipline research, showcasing either the methodology development or findings of environmental assessments, or feasibility studies in support of transformative changes are expected.
In particular, possible topics for the Special Issue include the following:
- Green investments in tourism systems;
- Landscape management, eco-tourism, rural tourism, and sustainable food systems;
- Policies and practices for low-carbon, sustainable supply chain management of tourism;
- Low-carbon, sustainable biofuels;
- Low-carbon tourist packages;
- Climate-neutral tourist destination management;
- Life cycle assessment, social life cycle assessment, and life cycle sustainability assessment in tourism systems;
- Environmental communication and eco-labelling for tourist products and organizations;
- Sustainable supply of locally-produced foods, handicrafts, and other local products;
- Environmental management of tourism destinations, hotels, and hospitality facilities;
- Circular bio-economy and reuse–reduce–recycle strategies in tourism systems;
- Nutrition and carbon footprint of local diets;
- Climate change adaptation and tourism;
- Renewable energy, energy efficiency, and low-carbon management in hospitality;
- Sustainable reconversion of tourist resorts;
- Tourist behavior and responsible choices.
Prof. Dr. Camillo De Camillis
Prof. Dr. Anna Mazzi
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Sustainability is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1900 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- life cycle assessment
- climate-neutral hotel
- low-carbon aviation
- low-carbon tourist destination
- landscape management
- policy making
- green investments
- responsible tourism
- sustainable food systems
- value chain management
- systems transformation
- climate action
- circular economy