Special Issue "Advances in the Systems Sciences 2018"
A special issue of Systems (ISSN 2079-8954).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 December 2019).
2. Chair of the Systems Science Working Group at INCOSE, 7670 Opportunity Rd, Suite 220, San Diego, CA 92111-2222, USA
Interests: integration of systems science into industrial and systems engineering; engineering of organization cultures; systemology; engineering management; system architecture
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Interests: systemology; systems philosophy; systems science; general systems theory; exploratory science; worldviews; consciousness studies; ontology; natural moral law theory
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Every year, the International Society for the Systems Sciences (ISSS) convenes a conference where everyone with an interest in the field of systems can meet to present, discuss, and learn about new developments in our understanding or application of the systems sciences. The conference has a topical annual theme, but there is also a continuity of subject interests, as represented by the ISSS’s 24 “Special Integration Groups” (SIGs).
This Special Issue aims at enhancing the impact of the ISSS conference in three ways, by:
- Giving attendees an opportunity to create modified and extended versions of their conference papers, based on the discussions, feedback, and other insights they generated at the conference;
- Providing community members who were unable to join the conference with an opportunity to engage with the conference theme and ISSS SIG themes by contributing a paper they would have liked to present if they had been able to attend the conference;
- Enabling conference attendees to present additional papers beyond the one they were limited to by the conference design.
We invite contributions on any aspect of the theme of the 2018 ISSS Conference, Innovation and Optimization in Nature and Design, or on any of the following ISSS SIG themes:
- Action research;
- Balancing individualism and collectivism;
- Critical systems theory and practice;
- Designing educational systems;
- Digital product–service systems (IS and ICT);
- Health and systems thinking;
- Hierarchy theory;
- Human systems inquiry;
- Leadership and systemic innovation (LaSI);
- Living systems science;
- Organizational transformation and social change;
- Relational science;
- Research towards general theories of systems;
- Science, spirituality, and systems science;
- Socioecological systems and design;
- Systemic ethics;
- Systems applications in business and industry;
- Systems biology and evolution;
- Systems and mental health;
- Systems modeling and systems engineering;
- Systems pathology;
- Systems philosophy.
For details about the focus of each SIG please visit: isss.org/world/special_integration_groups
This invitation is open to anyone interested in contributing to the advancement of the systems sciences and their applications, and is NOT conditional on ISSS membership or ISSS Conference attendance. Submissions must be original works not previously published, or, if previously published in the Proceedings of the 2018 ISSS Conference, then substantially reworked and extended compared to the Proceedings version. Review and acceptance of papers will proceed in accordance with the MDPI Systems journal editorial policies and processes.
Dr. Javier Calvo-Amodio
Dr. David Rousseau
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Systems is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Systems science
- Systems philosophy
- Systems engineering
- Systems thinking
- Systems practice