Special Issue "Edge Computing for the IoT"
A special issue of Computers (ISSN 2073-431X).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 15 October 2021.
Interests: wireless sensor and actuator networks; middleware for sensor and actuator networks; vehicular sensor networks; edge computing; fog computing; online stream processing of sensing dataflows; IoT and big data processing; pervasive and mobile computing; cooperative networking; cyber physical systems for Industry 4.0
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Special Issue in Sensors: Middleware Solutions for Wireless Internet of Things
Special Issue in Sensors: Sensors for Cooperative Vehicular Communications and Applications
Special Issue in Future Internet: Future Networks: Latest Trends and Developments
Interests: distributed systems; wireless sensor networks; mobile edge computing; mobile cyber-physical systems; Internet of Things
The Edge paradigm (exploitation of decentralized and virtualized processing, storage, and networking resources at network edges, such as in fog computing, 5G/6G, Edge-cloud computing, etc.) is revitalized by a number of research areas, including autonomous vehicles, personal assistants, smart cities, smart industry, and increased resiliency. These distributed Edge computing systems with varying degrees of reasoning abilities are continuously evolving as sophisticated cyber-physical and/or sociotechnical systems. Rapid progress has been witnessed in the recent past in the modeling of these systems via machine learning, semantic computing, deductive systems, mathematical and statistical heuristic-oriented approaches, etc. This Special Issue aims at hosting articles from computing sciences and multidisciplinary application-oriented research to provide a timely and comprehensive overview of the current state-of-the-art in terms of innovations and technological advances towards exploiting various aspects of the Edge paradigm applied to different application domains of IoT networks. The topics of interest include but are not limited to:
- Edge deployment architectures and models;
- Edge programming paradigms for the IoT;
- Edge resource management and orchestration;
- Evaluation of network technology interfaces at Edge nodes;
- Protocols and architectures for information-centric wireless Edge networking;
- Computation offloading vis-à-vis enriching on-device hardware/software capabilities at handheld edges;
- Edge handoff mechanisms, strategies, and management;
- Baseline performance evaluation for Edge infrastructure and applications;
- Industry adoption use cases of Edge computing paradigm;
- Edge computing for scalable smart city applications;
- Edge computing for vehicular clouds;
- Edge computing for personal assistance and mobile services;
- Machine learning for Edge computing and Edge computing for distributed machine learning;
- Sustainable digitalization of the manufacturing industry for futuristic technologies (Industry 5.0, 6G);
- Security and privacy aspects of federated Edge learning systems;
- Trust management for Edge-enabled IoT ecosystems.
Prof. Dr. Paolo Bellavista
Dr. Kiran Kumar Pattanaik
Dr. Sourabh Bharti
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Computers is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.